Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Masonic Secret as seen through the eyes of a Psychotherapist


As a retired Psychotherapist, I am often asked how I practiced my trade, or what I thought about during psychotherapy. The answer is not a simple one, nor is it limited to merely a few techniques. It depends as much on the client seeking help as it does on the therapist.

There is, however, one technique that bears a striking similarity to our search for the “secret” of Freemasonry. Despite the simplicity of its description, it is not easy to do and requires patience and practice. It is -- to simply watch and listen – but with a specific concentration on detail.

When someone walked into my office I was always careful to note how they were dressed, how they carried themselves and their facial expressions. I was aware of any facial and physical tension, and how they related to me as a new relationship in their life. I would watch how they inspected (or disregarded) their surroundings, how they sat, their eye contact, and their manner of speech.

I would listen carefully on as many different levels as I was able. I noted what they said, what I thought and felt they were “meta-communicating,” and what they were not saying.

I made a mental note of the conversation in the beginnings and endings of our sessions (both hold a lot of meaning for several reasons).

I noted my own interactions with the client, but most importantly I simply but intently watched and listened to what the client brought into the room.

The reason? Because in this microcosm of the universe, the consulting room became a real-life representation of the client’s world, and by being keenly aware of the room and the client’s interactions within it, I was very often shown how this person related to the larger world outside the office.

How and why does this relate to the Masonic secret? It does -- at least to my way of thinking it does.

Most often, my clients came to psychotherapy wanting to be TOLD the secret that would “cure” them of their dilemmas -- much the same way that new masons want to be TOLD the Masonic secret. My clients approached me in much the same way as many of us first approached Freemasonry. Ahh… if it were only that easy.

To my way of thinking, the secret which is contained in Freemasonry can be found in the same place where, I, together with my clients, would search for their own secrets – within.

In psychotherapy, the search is assisted by watching what goes on in the office. In Freemasonry, the answer (or secret) is also found within, and the search is assisted by the lodge which, when viewed metaphorically, is a representation of our own lives.

The secret is within each Mason, but we build our own barriers to finding it when we look to another to simply tell it to us, and we build barriers by not using the lodge (and our brethren) to monitor our own actions.

Until you give of yourself, and explore within, take it from an old retired therapist – you’ll never find the secret.

The mysteries of the lodge (both the metaphorical and the organizational lodge) are limitless if we take the time, and the heart, to search within. As we have been told so many times, “Know Thyself.” I would add -- "by giving of yourself."

Respectfully,

Bro. Smith

No comments: