Wednesday, February 4, 2009

One Mason's Perspective On The Freemason Secret




After much reading and contemplation and a great deal of self-analysis, I have come to an opinion as to the "secret" of Masonry.

It indeed is ineffable but not unknowable.

At first I supposed that an analysis of the history of Masonry would lead me to the alleged "answer", but it appears that organizationally the history only extends back approximately 300 years and is an amalgam of philosophies – very similar to other men’s' clubs that were popularized in that era and area. Perhaps it was based upon more historical groups such as the Templars, but perhaps not.

But it doesn't matter. For what I found more interesting were not the roots of the assembly, but the content of the rituals, both the words and acts. They intrigued me. 

This led to readings of the histories of the old and new testaments, mysticism, alchemy, sacred geometry, Pythagoras and Euclid, mystery religions and cults, solar and stellar cults, mystical art, Egyptology, theology, astro-theology, astronomy, Christian apologists, philosophy, and even to Shakespeare (who is quoted in the third degree).

I have been searching for a thread - a glimpse of understanding, and have been reading three to four books a week, searching old and out-of-print materials. I have pushed myself to approach this both intellectually and emotionally.

And, here and there, I have come across numerous small and large bits of history, philosophy and speculation reflected in Masonic ritual and catechism.

But the "secret" was more elusive. Yet, (I later found it to be) more intimate and near. At least, I think it is.

I no longer believe that the secret is exclusive to Freemasonry. It can be found buried in the roots of many philosophies and religions. But, to most, it has been forgotten.

So my conjecture:
Masonry is (to borrow a concept from psychology) a "projective stimulus" -- a sort of a spiritual Rorschach, if you will. It is amorphous enough that one can find whatever one looks for (albeit it clearly leans towards a ethical and spiritual journey). It provides structure while allowing the freedom of thought necessary due to the myriad of mindsets, intellectual capabilities, needs, and men, who make up a lodge.

Masonry (at least to me) is capable of taking someone desiring a spiritual journey on a whirlwind trip through time and mind; An exploration of philosophies and speculations that extends well before we can imagine.

The secret, in the end... and in the end, all seems to end up back at that allegorical "lodge" -- ourselves.

Awestruck, we stand wondering, whispering, under the sun, moon and stars, watching the never-ending journey that all life takes, and giving thanks not for what can be told, but for the ineffable: 

This moment, this feeling.

That, is the secret that I have found.

Respectfully.

Bro. Smith